Back to Blog
Why Harleys Rock
The Harley-Davidson® legacy spans over a century. It all began when William S. Harley created an engine that fit an ordinary bicycle. The idea was revolutionary and expanded the possibilities of the transportation industry. By 1914, Harley-Davidson entered motorcycle racing. Throughout the decades, this motor company and its "hog" association swept numerous championship races.
Harley-Davidson, above all else, provides personal freedom for riders. Aside from its commitment to quality, this company provides exceptional customer service as well. When you own a Harley-Davidson, you possess a bike that's been manufactured with precision and innovation. With peace of mind, you can comfortably hit the open road and experience some of the best places in the country. Here are some ideas to make the most out of owning a Harley-Davidson.
• Plan a Trip – Before hitting the highway for an extensive road trip, it's important to begin planning your itinerary. Although it's fun and exhilarating to pick up and go wherever the road takes you, a longer and more organized trip may be necessary. An extended ride will require funding, but you don't have to spend your life savings to have a great time. Staying with relatives or friends along the way will give you the chance to catch up and help curb some spending. Practicing basic maintenance on your bike is crucial as well to avoid on-the-road problems. Most importantly, though, is to keep your mind open. There are some amazing things out there if you’re willing to look.
• Pack Correctly – Packing for a trip doesn't have to be stressful. Experienced riders have shared a few tips, which makes this chore more fun. Consider bringing lightweight clothes made from synthetic fibers. These are easily washed and dried in hotel rooms. They should be rolled so that they take up less space. Also, use zip-lock bags to organize items in your saddle bags. Since these plastic bags make great boot liners in the rain, pack extras. Showers can pop up at any time, so don't ever leave your rain gear at home. When loading the bike, check your owner's manual for the cargo limits. Try to keep weight low and toward the tank.
• "Poopy's Triangle Ride” – If you're lucky enough to win our bike, your first ride should be "Poopy's Triangle." In fact, this is a great trip for anyone in the area. It's named after "Poopy's Pub and Grub," a restaurant that's one of the state's biggest biker destinations. Despite its name, the food is awesome. The entire route is very scenic and includes interesting stops in Sabula, the only island city in Iowa. Begin your journey at the eatery and head north to Galena, Illinois, on Route 84. Take US Highway 20 to Dubuque and return southwest on US Highway 15 to Anamosa, also home to the National Motorcycle Museum.
• 2015 Minnesota HOG Rally – Alexandria, Minnesota, is home to "Runestone Rumble." June 25 - 27, 2015, you'll be able to take a look back in time and enjoy activities, including self-guided and guided rides, games, and a bike show. Make time to explore the area’s antique shops, whiskey distillery, winery, and various museums. It's always great fun for Harley-Davidson enthusiasts.
• Tour Harley-Davidson – It's impossible to comprehend the fine craftsmanship of Harley-Davidson until you get a personal look at its manufacturing facility in York, Pennsylvania. At the Vaughn L. Beels Tour Center, you'll explore displays that show the manufacturing and assembly processes and witness passion being forged into steel. Experience the creation of the newest motorcycles. Your tour starts with a short movie and continues onto the factory floor. You will see each Harley-Davidson receive a roll-test prior to shipping. After the tour, you will have a renewed appreciation of the Harley-Davidson brand.
Here at Isle Casino Hotel® Waterloo, we are giving away two Harley-Davidson® motorcycles during our Bikin It & Likin' It Giveaway. One lucky rider has already claimed one of the motorcycles, but the other will be given away at 8 pm on April 26th. It's not too late to enter the competition! You can activate your entries by swiping your Fan Club® card at the kiosk or Fan Club between 6 p.m. and 7:59 p.m. on drawing night. You will get one free virtual entry per day plus additional entries based on play. The more you play, the better your odds at winning will be.
Enjoy your time on a Harley-Davidson. There’s so much to see and discover. Remember, if this sounds interesting to you, get your entries into the Bikin It & Likin It Giveaway to win one. Follow us on Facebook® and Twitter® for updates and reminders.