Back to Blog
Have You Met Our Farmers?
With spring comes renewed excitement for gardening, fresh produce and farming. People from all walks of life are becoming invested in buying and eating locally grown produce. The local food movement has evolved over the years and is now being embraced by all types of people and businesses. This may mean buying from a farm down the street, in the next town, in the same state, or at least in the same country.
Local food sourcing helps family farms stay in business and encourages healthier lifestyles. People are realizing the benefits of supporting local farmers and better farming practices. They are enjoying healthier living and fostering a sense of community. Here at Isle Casino Hotel® Waterloo, chefs work with local farmers and businesses to provide guests with the freshest ingredients for the Farmer’s Pick Buffet®. Take a look at the local Iowa farmers who make our delicious menu possible.
Meet Our Farmers
• A Family Market Place, Waterloo: Owned by Chad, Melanie and Liam Thomas, A Family Market Place is located practically across the street from us and provides local growers gainful employment and the ability to supply their neighbors. It supplies Farmer's Pick Buffet with over 50 varieties of farm-fresh, locally grown delicious herbs, vegetables and more.
• La Vida Loca Winery, Indianola: A family-owned business located in Indianola, Iowa, La Vida Loca Winery only uses fresh fruit from their farm to make their 30 varieties of wine, which include many "fine country wines gently sweetened" and unique cooking wines. Farmer's Pick Buffet features the fine homemade wines of La Vida Loca and brings many scrumptious menu items prepared with the wine straight from its vineyard to the table.
• Jumpy Monkey Coffee Roasting Company®, Sioux City: Farmer's Pick Buffet makes delicious desserts with the coffee made by Jumpy Monkey Coffee Roasting Company, an Opportunities Unlimited business that employs individuals with traumatic brain injuries and provides them with a way to earn a living.
• Hansen's Farm Fresh Dairy, Hudson: Jay and Jean Hansen own a dairy farm that they farm along with their four sons. Hansen's Farm Fresh Dairy produces a line of fresh dairy products, including 30 flavors of homemade ice cream, soft serve, butter, milk, cheese curds, and heavy cream.
• Engelbrecht Family Winery, Fredericksburg: Loren and Diana Engelbrecht own Englebrecht Family Winery, a business that began in 2004 and has now grown to an 11-acre vineyard that includes 15 different varieties of grapes. In a mutually-beneficial relationship, Farmer's Pick Buffet uses many of Engelbrecht's red and white dry table wines in its delicious menu items.
• K&W Sausage and Specialty Meats, Evansdale.
• Hibbs Farms, Albion: Farmers Pick Buffet uses prize winning beef provided by Hibbs Farms, a 6th generation family farm in Marshall County, Iowa.
• BJ Honey, LaPorte City.
• Gilbertville Meat Locker, Gilbertville.
• Cookies Sauces and Seasonings, Wall Lake.
• Anything But Green Gardens, Vinton: Brien Osborn is the owner of Anything But Green Gardens in Vinton, Iowa. What was once just a hobby for her became a booming business that now provides a variety of mushrooms to the Farmer's Pick Buffet, as well as other businesses.
• Country View Dairy®, Hawkeye: Farmer's Pick Buffet is proud to use fresh yogurt from Country View Dairy. The yogurt is made in a new, state of the art creamery from non-homogenized milk provided by the family's own healthy dairy cows. The yogurt comes in both Original and Greek style.
We’re happy to be partnered with so many local farmers and businesses. They help make our dining the highest quality for all of our guests. Remember, follow us on Facebook® and Twitter® for specials and deals going on at Farmer’s Pick Buffet.